Friday, September 6, 2013

This 5 pound kitten stole my heart

There is no question that kittens are cute. Some may even say adorable - and our Tiga may be one of the cutest kittens I've seen in a long time. Well, I may be a little bias.
No, it's true. Tiga is adorable.

However, Tiga is Dylan's cat and we each have very different roles when it comes to raising her. Dylan is the playful have fun with me parent and I am the one who sets the rules and says no all the time. Needless to say, I am not the first one Tiga will run to when she wants something. Well, at least until last week I wasn't.

This picture was taken last Saturday morning right before we left to have Tiga spayed. I don't think either one of us knew what to expect, nor did we know how our relationship would quickly change.

Suddenly I was a mother of two and my baby was having surgery. I quickly forgot about the shoelaces she chewed on while teething and the mess she made while playing in her water bowl instead of drinking. My motherly instincts kicked in and nothing else mattered except for her. Taking care of Tiga became priority number one for me. Everything else could wait.

Dylan was great too. He cuddled with her and made sure she felt safe. Everything seemed to be going well and then suddenly it wasn't. Something wasn't right. Tiga's incision was red, swollen, and seeping.

Panic started to set in.

Had I made a mistake by taking her to a low cost clinic to get spayed? Should I have paid more and let my trusted vet do the surgery?

I was giving her the antibiotics and she wasn't being very active. It was time to see Dr. Kelly and make everything better. My baby was sick and I was going to do whatever I could to make her feel better.

This little six month old, five pound kitten had me wrapped around her little paws. She stole my heart and I wasn't getting it back.

Tiga can't eat very well with the cone and she can't see her water dish, so I feed her. She needs antibiotics twice a day and those need to be hidden inside treats so she will eat them. I came home every day this week on my lunch break to check on her.

I took care of her and she knows it.

We created our own bond - different than the sibling bond she has with Dylan - the bond of a mother and child. Tiga now follows me around the house and patiently waits outside the bedroom door for me.

She may have a funny looking collar for a few more days, but her infection is gone and she's still adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment